1. Run the Roxassist Program
- a. Click on the "Start" button, then select "My Computer"
b. Double click on the "Local Disk C:" icon (The drive letter might be different on your PC, the drive you want to double click on is the one which you installed the software to)
c. Double click on the "Program Files" folder, then double click on the "Common Files" folder, then double click on the "Roxio Shared" folder, then double click on the "Upgrade" folder
d. Double click on the "roxassist" icon
e. If you receive a message to shutdown and reboot the PC please do so. After you reboot you might receive the message stated in step f. If you do please click on the "OK" button
f. If you receive the message "Roxio Assistant ran successfully. Ret Code: XXX" (Where XXX represents a 3 digit code) then click on the "OK" button
g. Try to launch Creator Classic to see if you get the same error. If you receive the same error message please continue to the next step.
2. Ensure your CD/DVD drives are not hooked up to a third party controller card. Make sure your Optical Drives are plugged directly into the motherboard. Try to load Creator Classic.
3. If Creator still doesn't launch:
- a. Click on the "Start" button, then right click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties".
b. Click the "Hardware" tab and then click the "Device Manager" button.
c. Expand the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" option by clicking on the "+" sign beside it
e. Right click on the icon for your CD/DVD recorder(s) and select "Disable".
e. Try to load Creator Classic.
- If Creator Classic launches, then it could be the cable, improper connection or a firmware update is required for your drive. Please contact your PC or CD/DVD recorder manufacturer to obtain a firmware update.
4. Manually register the DLL files
- a. Click on the "Start" button, then select "Run"
- b. In the run dialog box please copy and paste the following commands one at a time listed below including the quotes and click the "OK" button after each one has been copied
On your PC the drive letter might be different. This will depend on which drive you installed Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 to. To verify what drive letter to use, do a search for one of the files listed before and see what drive letter it resides on. Then replace "C" below with the appropriate drive letter.
- Regsvr32 "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Roxio Shared\\CDEngine\\ACMWrapperV2.DLL"
Regsvr32 "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Roxio Shared\\CDEngine\\CDENGINE.DLL"
Regsvr32 "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Roxio Shared\\CDEngine\\DRIVERSV2.DLL"
Regsvr32 "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Roxio Shared\\CDEngine\\MEDIAPLAYERV2.DLL"
- c. After you click the "OK" button a window should appear with a message indicating the file registration succeeded
- d. If you do not receive this message either reply to the email indicating so or please call Roxio Technical Support at the phone number listed below for further assistance.
- e. If you received the listed message then click the "OK" button and copy the remaining lines
- f. After all files have been registered please restart your PC
- g. Try to launch Creator Classic to see if you get the same error. If you receive the same error message please continue to the next step.
5. Perform a Virus Scan on your PC
We have seen a considerable amount of "Cannot Initialize API error" across all OSs due to computer Viruses. We have confirmed that a Worm Virus (W32.Klez.H@mm) or others like it can cause this. Please update your antivirus software and then do a full system scan to ensure your PC is not infected with a virus.
Was this article helpful?
Tell us how we can improve it.