After installation, WordPerfect hangs at the splash screen.
A problem, non-default print driver may prevent WordPerfect from starting normally or may cause WordPerfect to hang/crash when accessing the print dialog.
Set WordPerfect to not scan non-default printers on startup
This article involves editing the registry. As such it is important to back up the registry first. Use this article from MIcrosoft to learn how to back up the registry:
How to Backup the Registry
- Restart Windows to ensure there are no background or hung WordPerfect processes
- Launch Regedit:
- Press WinKey+R to open the Windows Run prompt
- Type regedit in the Open field, then click OK
- Answer Yes if prompted for permission
- In left-hand column of Regedit, browse to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corel\PrintEngine\<version>\Timeouts\
- A word on <version>: If you have WordPerfect X9, your version is 19. If you have WordPerfect 2020, it's 20, WordPerfect 2021 is 20, and so on.
- In the right-hand column of Regedit, double-click on "InitAllPrintersInBackground"
- Change the 1 to a 0 and click OK.
- Close RegEdit.
- Retry WordPerfect