When starting WordPerfect Office OR Corel Office OR Corel Home Office, an error is received, "Error 38: Files have been modified and damaged"
This error normally happens when the license validation service has been stopped or disabled for some reason. Common causes may include 'system optimization' or antivirus/anti-malware programs which may identify this process as unwanted and disable it.
Here's how to re-enable it so that WordPerfect Office and/or Corel Office runs normally:
- Press WinKey + R on your keyboard to open the Windows RUN prompt
- In the Run prompt, type “Services.msc” and click OK
- In the services window, locate the “Corel license validation service v2, powered by Avarto” and double click on it
- Set the Startup type to Automatic. Automatic is marked in RED in the image below:
- Click on Stop..Stop is marked in Blue
- Click on Start. Start is marked in Green
- Click OK. OK is marked in Purple.
- If you have an entry for “Corel license validation service v2 x64, powered by Avarto”, double click on it, then repeat steps 4-7.
- Retry running your application.
If the Corel License Validation Service is not present in the list of services, please repair your WordPerfect Install as follows:
- Click Start, Settings (Gear icon)
- Click Apps, wait for the list of installed applications to populate.
- Click on WordPerfect Office or Corel Office, depending on which application is having the problem.
- Click Uninstall
- in the Popup, click Uninstall again
- Choose Repair on the installer screen and follow the on-screen prompts to repair your installation.